Header image  
Brooklyn New York  
  HOME INFORMATION SEARCH PICTURES CLASSMATES CONTACT MESSAGES MEMORABILIA REUNION PICTURES:
   Saint Ambrose’s School 1883
 

Original story

Below is a larger and easier to read version

school

The work of the Sisters of St. Joseph began within the confines of St. Ambrose parish with the opening of a private school in 1883. The convent and academy were established in a small two-story cottage located on De Kalb and Tompkins Avenues.
By 1911 the need of the parish for a parochial school was realized and the present convent and school were erected. At its opening in September of that year the registration reached the high mark of 800 pupils. For a number of years the school functioned as a Regents center.
In 1933 the parish marked the fiftieth anniversary of its foundation. At that time the parish souvenir Journal was warm in its praise of the work of the "good Sisters" who had already molded the lives of over a thousand graduates of the school. Many of these have achieved enviable places in the world and many others have answered the call to serve God in the religious state and in the priesthood.
Changing times have brought changing scenes to many parts of the city and St. Ambrose parish is no exception. By 1945 the registration was reduced to 473 because of the influx of a non-Christian population in place of the many long established Catholic residents who had moved to suburban areas.
Despite financial difficulties the entire plant: church, school and convent were renovated in the spring of 1948 and the convent again in 1953. At present, the Mission is a credit to the parish and amply fulfills the needs of the Sisters in carrying out their many tasks for the salvation of souls.

sisters
Front Row: Sr. Regina Mary, Sr. Dolorine, Sr. Celenie, Sr. Claude Joseph, Superior; Sr. Marie Crucis, Sr. James Miriam, Sr. Marie Michael, Back Row: Sr. Mariel, Sr. Marietta, Sr. St. Hugh, Sr. Yvonne, Sr. Virginia Agnes, Sr. Romuald, Sr. Mary Pepetua.
Workshop
It is in here that we work and study: we call it "Our Religious Work Shop." Located on the second floor to the left of the stairway, it has five windows and a southwest exposure.
dining room
The dining room, a very airy and nicely arranged room, is on the first floor at the rear of the house. It is painted a rose color and mottled. As you step into it there seems to be a warm spirit of peace and surprise because of the sunshine which permeates it.
chapel
Our small but comfortable chapel is on the second floor. It is artistically decorated and very devotional. It can accommodate eighteen; at present we number fourteen.
Parish house in 1883
This quaint little house is in St. Ambrose parish. It is here that the founder and first pastor, Reverend Father Sheeh offered the first mass.
Mission Opened: 1883
Pastor: REVEREND THOMAS SHEEHY
First Community: SISTER MARY AUGUSTA. Superior
SISTER MARY AQUINAS
SISTER M. BONIFACE
Present Pastor: REVEREND WILLIAM P. MURRAY
Present Superior: SISTER CLAUDE JOSEPH
Present Registration: 625
Released Time: 125

class of 1946
left to right:
top: John Torngl, William Sullivan, Michael Leone, Phillip Smith, John Curram,Joseph Scardini, ?, ?, John Johnson
middle: John Gargane, Charles Compton, Gaetano Perone, ? , Mary Calabrese, Nancy D'Antonio, Catherine Laruffa, Rita Inginib, ?, ?, Richard Reidy.
bottom: Barbara Breitweiser, Rosemary Boglivili, ?, Eleanr Kenny, Father Weist, Josephine Varrino, ?, ?, Lucille Proscia

1947

1948 class

Class of June 1948 picture taken on Kosciusko outside of Rectory
Top Row: Frank Bianchino, James Carroll, George Compton, James McBride, Charles Holland, George Duprey, James Price, Thomas Smith, L. Giarizzo, Frank Eckert.
Middle Row: Michael Cona, Patrick Smith, R.Harrigan, E.Conlon, Mary Gonzalez, Luana Jones, Phyllis Sepe, Mary Gagne, Adele Corapi, Bernadette McCarthy, John Librandi, Thomas Sammatino, Richard DiBlasio
Seatted: A.Giarizzo, Sara Frontera, Mildred Mingacci, J.Askin, Fr. Ennis, Fr. Weist, Fr. McLaughlin, ?, Rose Gallina, Joan Jundrio, Grace Manfredo

TOP ROW: LEFT TO RIGHT: FRANK LOFTUS, TWO MASCOTS,EDWARD RICHARDS

TOP ROW: LEFT TO RIGHT: FRANK LOFTUS, TWO MASCOTS, EDWARD RICHARDSON
BOTTOM ROW: FRANK SCALISE, RAE FISCHETTI, JULIA  JOHNS. RITA CALABRISE,ROSE  CALABRESE.GRACE MANFREDO. PAT LOUQUET
1949
top row: James Boyle, Patrick Murray, Mary Dantona, Oscar Williams, Judith Focarazzo, Robert Viola, Joseph Bauer
middle row: Robert Fernandez, John Riccardi, Bernadette Sullivan, Tina Fernandez, Ann Henry John Zacari, Salvatore Alonge
bottom row: unknown, Rose Pickett, Patricia Nash, mascot, Fr. Weist, mascot, Eleanor Sposato, Rosemary McCarthy, Eleanor Bushalano

Sr. Patrickmusicpicture

Sr. Benedickpicture

Fr. Weist